speakup i18n question

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Fri Jun 19 03:27:13 EDT 2009

Good day,
I like Samuel's suggestion of installing all  languages and have the user
change the language by echoing to something like
/sys/accessibility/speakup/lang.
I do not really like the idea of $LANG,  because I often flip between
Afrikaans and English and do not always want to change $LANG.
What I actually do in practice, is to use the sysrequest line in inittab
to be able to map a key globally for changing voice/language.  The key is
alt-up arrow.
It works well for only a few languages, but here in South Africa we have
eleven official languages.
There are not synthesizers for all of the languages yet, but there might
be some day.
Having a pair of keys in speakup to change language would actually be
nice.
For example, the same way one can change rate and pitch, but for changing
between the languages.
I am now answering this email from Samuel in English, using espeak
speaking English, but the next email in my alpine in box might well be an
email in Afrikaans.  I then want to quickly flip to Afrikaans for the
duration of that email, flipping back to English for the next email which
is likely to be in English again.
Sorry for the long post, but I think it is important that the developers
understand how this feature might be used.
I have also picked up what I think might be a bit of a bug.
In my case, when pressing speakup-key numpad enter, it says "you turned me
off" as it should, but when pressing this combination again, it just says
hei and not "hei that's better" as it should.
It looks like this is happening everywhere where there is a single quote
in the message.
Thanks again for adding i18n, it is great.
Regards, Willem