Getting speakup running with grml

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Jun 5 17:44:46 EDT 2009

I assume you are wanting to use software speech output as your example
is for the software synthesiser speakup module. I will briefly mention
support for a hardware synth after the software speech option.

GRML has a special option for speakup with software speech, it is the
swspeak boot option. So when your CD starts to spin you should get a
boot prompt, now enter:
grml swspeak

and press enter, and then you will hear a message in the midst of the
booting process saying that software speech has been enabled and that
you need to type swpseak when booting finishes. You will get a speech
message saying that booting has finished. Please note although both of
these messages are given by flite, the default for speakup will be
espeak once you get speakup running. Now when booting has finished (I
find the message comes a few seconds before the machine really is ready)
you then type:
swspeak

and press enter. Speakup should start speaking with espeak.

Now the swspeak option on the boot prompt can be given an option to say
whether espeakup or speech-dispatcher should be used, if no value is
given to the swspeak option it defaults to espeakup. Refer to the
cheatcodes docs for GRML on how to specify whether to use espeakup or
speech-dispatcher.

If you want to hear what happens while you boot the CD, then may be the
beginning of my podcast for installing GRML with software speech would
be useful. It can be found on
http://www.mwhapples.plus.com/linux/audio/grml_install.ogg.

You can give GRML the speakup.synth option, so for me with my apollo
synth I would type at the boot prompt:
grml speakup.synth=apollo

and press enter. Speakup should just start talking (it may not happen
immediately as the script starting speakup is well into the boot process).

You should be aware although GRML supports the speakup.synth option, it
doesn't support the other speakup options such as speakup.ser as GRML
has speakup compiled as modules and it is a script checking for the
speakup.synth option and loading the correct module.

Michael Whapples