DECTalk question, was speakup using different synths with software speech?

al Sten-Clanton Albert.E.Sten_Clanton at verizon.net
Fri Jun 5 10:45:09 EDT 2009

Tony:

I recently tried using a DEBTalk.  I tried installing Fedora with it.  It
started out fine, but very quickly during the installation there was a long
lag between keystroke and speech.  Indeed, I had a lot more trouble than
usual figuring what choice I was on at various points of the installation.
I went through with the install the last time; I found that the boot-up was
fine, at least to a point, but then the lag kicked in bit-time.

I think this is a problem somebody mentioned on this list in December.  (He
was using Slackware.) My very crude understanding is that it resulted from
changes in the kernel's interaction with serial ports.  Has Debian worked
around or avoided this problem?  I ask because my work with GRML last
weekend suggests that it may have.  (I had another problem with GRML, but
that's off the point.)

The recent speakup fixes seemm almost to have eradicated the problems I was
having with the TripleTalk LT.  Still, I like the speed of the DECTalk
Express, and also one of its voices.

Thanks for any info.

Al