Vinux

Terry D. Cudney terry.cudney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 10:13:05 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

   I want to step in here and say a big "Thank You" to Samuel and all the Debian Installer team.

   I have installed Debian using speakup for the installation, without sighted assistance on several machines, from A64's to notebooks.

   The installations have all been from CD or USB-stick using a Litetalk or Tripletalk synth for the installation and end up with speakup (with either hardware orespeak (software speech)) and orca access readily available.

   I agree that during installation, the timing/entry of parameters is a bit of a trick, and perhaps daunting to a new user, but what os can be installed unaided by a blind user besides this?

   The progress over the last year to make blind, unaided installation possible, has been impressive... thanks to people like Samuel it will only get better.

   We live in a world where we (the blind) are in the minority, but we don't have to be quarantined into exclusive programs for blind users... that just widens the gap between us and the rest of the world. The better way to go is what is being done with debian... make the installation  and use of the system fully accessible without barriers between us and the rest of the world.

   Thanks again to all who are working in the effort to make linux accessible... speakup, orca and all the people working on various mainstream distributions!

   My $0.02...

   --terry