Vinux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Jun 2 05:27:15 EDT 2009

Ah, this I understand.  I was unaware that the live CD would come up
talking.  That is a valid point and I can see why people would like
that.  Oralux was supposed to do the same thing, but it didn't work for
me.  Again, that opens up a bunch of other issues, such as what if there
are multiple sound cards?  What if Linux doesn't support the driver for
your sound card?  The advantage to something like grml is that you have
more flexibility, even though it requires typing the right thing within
the right number of seconds.  You can have software speech, hardware
speech if you have a hardware synth, or no speech if you would rather
use ssh, or a combination of the above.  I was working on someone else's
machine when for no obvious reason, grml lost software speech.  I
couldn't do much without speech, but it wasn't a problem.  I just set up
dhcp, started an ssh server and finished from a different machine.  Yes,
a new blind user won't know about that, but the point is that you aren't
locked into one method of doing things, even though it does mean
entering boot parameters.

I must say that I really like the way Debian handles this with the
installation.  It beeps to let you know that it's booted and doesn't
timeout right away.  It also is smart enough to install Speakup
automatically if you use it to do the install.