speakup using different synths with software speech?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Jun 1 19:59:16 EDT 2009

    One of the things that people should remember is all the comercial
speech generation algorythms have patents on them which prevent
redistribution.
this is why someone could not just clone eloquence dectalk or whatever.

Mbrola has good voice quality, and is far more human sounding than espeak
although it is tricky to set up.
Festival isn't bad but also requires speech dispatcher.

Licenses of festival and mbrola are not gpl at least they aren't for the
voices anyway.

I'm sure Jonathan duddington (sorry if I can't spell your name mate) would
accept any constructive help in improving how his speech synthesizer sounds,
especially to make it more human.
Regards, Kerry.