Unix

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Jul 31 15:32:00 EDT 2009

Hello James,
Sounds like you got freetts working fine when you swapped into the
freetts-1.2 directory (that was the directory I had actually meant you
to switch to after unpacking the zip file). I wouldn't expect freetts to
actually say anything when you launch it with the command:
java -jar bin/FreeTTSEmacspeakServer.jar &

but all the output you mentioned which appears on the terminal is
correct as I would expect.

To get freetts to talk, you need something to tell it what to say,
that's where yasr comes in, just run the command:
yasr -s "emacspeak server" -p 127.0.0.1:2222

(above yasr command should all be on one line and as said by someone
else the quote marks should be used).

Hopefully after you enter the yasr command you will hear speech, in
which case yasr works!

If you want I can try and put together a script for you to use (the
script would need editing to match your systems locations of files (eg.
where freetts is)). By having this script you would only need to run one
command and it would be a way of getting yasr working with freetts
regardless of what your yasr.conf file is (IE. you would have a recovery
should you misconfigure your synth).

Michael Whapples