Unix

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Jul 28 11:56:09 EDT 2009

Hello,
I don't think you will get speakup working on MacOS (whatever version
you are using). Speakup is  built for the linux kernel and so is quite
specific to linux (it won't work on many other unix systems eg. solaris,
freebsd, etc). The only way I can imagine you will get speakup working
is to install linux on the Mac (may it be either as a dual boot or to
replace MacOS), but I don't think that is what you wanted.

Anyway something which might help you, there are a few other screen
readers for unix text terminals, the one which comes to mind is YASR
which I think works on a number of different unix systems (it works on
other systems as it doesn't integrate so tightly with the systems
kernel). Another alternative, although more orientated for Braille
display support is brltty.

As suggested by Hermann, if your Mac is running Leopard then why not use
voiceover, unless you are planning to move to linux.

Michael Whapples