Ethernet not working, a weird one!

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Jul 26 08:07:40 EDT 2009

Hi,

Is your Gentoo using udev?  I personally prefer and recommend Debian
because it's a lot easier.  If your Gentoo is very old, udev isn't the
problem, but I would check that first.  I posted very detailed
instructions on how to solve the problem with udev.  It's in the Speakup
archives, but basically it likes moving the eth0 to eth1.  You have to
delete the rules that make it do that and you should be fine.  Failing
that, I would buy an Intel E1000 card.  It's about $35 but gives very
much better performance and is plug and play so it's easier to set up.
I used the exact same 3Com card in a server for years and all my
headaches went away with the Intel card.  If you can confirm that udev
is definitely not the problem, I don't know.  You shouldn't need to
recompile the kernel just to use a different driver though.  I would
definitely look at Debian or grml, especially since you should still
have hardware speech.