configuring asterisk:cheap phone?

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 12:39:15 EDT 2009

Hi, Terry.

I have set up Asterisk systems at several locations.  I generally
still use Trixbox, though I'll probably switch soon to PBX in a Flash
or a similar competing system.  Fonality, the company that bought
Trixbox, is acting in several essentially evil ways, so the community
is moving away from them.

In general, I recommend installing Asterisk on a dedicated system with
one of the Asterisk distros, like Trixbox.  It will save you many
hours of headaches in the long run.  For a user trying to save a few
bucks while at grandma's house, I'd say stay away from Asterisk and
buy a cheap phone card.

The last time I tried PBX in a Flash, around December, it was still
unstable relative to Trixbox.  I had a lot of trouble getting it to
work how I wanted.  However, that's changing fast, and may already be
out-of-date information.

At home, I use a Trixbox system, which I integrated tightly with the
Asterisk system I built for work.  It's kind of cool.  If anyone calls
my work number, it rings a VoIP phone at work, a VoIP business phone
at home, and every wireless phone in the house.  My wife hates it, but
I find it very convenient.  For home service, I use VoIP Street, and
can attest that they have outstanding voice quality.  However, since
my wife's business went under due to the rotten economy, she talks on
the phone all the time!  I'd save money just paying $25/month to
Vonage.

Bill