configuring asterisk:cheap phone?

Terry D. Cudney terry.cudney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 10:48:51 EDT 2009

Hi all,

   It looks like there are a number of people here who are using or are interested in voip.
   Asterisk has a steep learning curve and I wouldn't recommend starting into it if you are only going to use it for a short time. ON the other hand, if you can justify the time to learn it, using straight asterisk 1.4/1.6 is very accessible for us bliind users. All configs are text files. Once you get a handle on it, setting up new phones/lines is very quick and easy. If you are using Debian, there is an asterisk apt package that does quite nicely fo rthe base asterisk installation.
   I have not looked at the numerous  graphical configuration systems (like pbxinaflash or trixbox). Perhaps some of you who have used some of these could comment on their accessibility using commandline tools/speakup.
   How many people here have asterisk (or other voip server) running that we could maybe set up a "blinknet" based on iax2 (or even sip)?

   Let's all thank Kirk for his liberality in not restricting postings here to just speakup-related topics!

   --terry

--
Name:	Terry D. Cudney
Phone:	705-812-4949
SIP: 5000 at cudney.homeip.net
E-mail:	terry at octothorp.org

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like...
having a peeing sectionin a swimming pool.

Tired of technology? Check this out: http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm