OT: dialup

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sat Jul 11 11:27:45 EDT 2009

Hi all.

Do any of you know of good dialup providers that are nationwide and can be
used without proprietary software?
I have a blind friend in South Carolina who lives in a dead spot between
DSL providers so she has to use dialup. she has been using basicisp but
the local access number doesn't connect reliably for her; she ends up
using a number that is considered long distance which works fine but gets
her in trouble with the phone company for apparently misusing her
unlimited long distance. Nobody seems to know why the local access number
won't allow her to connect or stay connected; basicisp has tried to blame
her Mac, her modem, a routing problem, etc. but it seems strange that she
can conncect fine to the long distance number and not the local access
one. I'm desperate to help her find a dialup service she can use. Any
suggestions? While she is using Macosx instead of linux, she has some of
the same issues as linux users in that she can't use anything that
requires downloaded Windows software.

--
Cheryl