speakup in debian

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Fri Jul 10 05:27:22 EDT 2009

Don Raikes, le Fri 10 Jul 2009 02:00:47 -0700, a écrit :
> Is there an installable version of debian that already has speakup installed into it, or do I have to install lenny and then patch speakup into it.

The standard Lenny installer has speakup support through modules. You
just need to pass the speakup.synth=something parameter to the installer
at boot, or use a script I made to patch ISO images.

http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/remaster-append.sh

> assuming I get speakup installed, if I want to use a software synth like espeak, do I then need speech-dispatcher and espeakup, or is there a better way to run it?

espeakup removes the need for speech-dispatcher.

Samuel