Trying to come back?

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Wed Jul 8 16:43:29 EDT 2009

Am 08.07.2009 22:29, schrieb Joseph Norton:
> Hi All:
[...]
> I saw on blindcooltech that there is a small distro called "GRML".  I have successfully downloaded and installed it on my HD.  It does work, but, I probably need some assistance to do more with it--if this is even possible.

You can do all your daily work with GRML. I use it for years. What
specific problems do you have?

> Can I install or build a more robust systtem starting with GRML?  In particular, can I get a better software synth than the robotic british one that ships with GRML?  Since it's based on Debian, can I install Debian packages over it?

You could do a "grml-debootstrap", in order to install a regular Debian.
But your GRML would be lost.
Check out the manuals of grml-debootstrap.
But you can keep your GRML, but I would recomment one change:
Go to /etc/apt/sources.list and change the entries by commenting out the
unstable branch, and include the testing branches. You then will have a
more stable system after you did:
aptitude update
Regarding the synth: You can buy a soft synth such as Voxin or ttsynth,
and you can use it together with Speech-dispatcher and Speechd-up, all
installed on GRML.

> Or, are there other alternatives for installing Linux with only software synth available?

You could check out Vinux, I think there also are podcasts on Blind
cooltech.
Hermann