How to set up git mirror

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Jul 6 16:32:02 EDT 2009

Hi,

Both machines run Debian.  The web host with the http mirror runs Debian
Etch while the machine which would host the daemon runs Lenny.
Unfortunately, I can't upgrade the git version on the web host which is
1.5.6.5.  Would it be better to abandon the web host and only use the
daemon?  That's not my ideal solution because that machine has hardware
problems, but I do have full control and I can install upgrades as
needed.  The web host (Dreamhost) does offer ssh and regular shell
access, so there should be no reason why git-pull, clone, fetch, etc
shouldn't work.  I'm fairly sure they have rsync also if that would
work.  Maybe it would be better to use rsync for the Speakup web site
and only use the git daemon for the git mirror, assuming
linux-speakup.org supports rsync.  Also, Dreamhost has much more
bandwidth and generally faster connections than the other machine.  The
daemon machine (called fileserver) is on a business cable connection so
it's faster than residential but not as fast as Dreamhost.  What are
your suggestions?  I have full control over my dns records, so I can
switch domains around between machines as needed.  You can write
off-list if you prefer.