installing linux from USB?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Thu Jan 29 22:04:59 EST 2009

You are equating the words write and burn. These words are not the same in
this context.
The term burn is used when refering to cds, as the laser actually causes a
change in the dye layer on the surface of the disk. RW media uses a laser to
heat the disk to Curie heat which causes a change in the crystaline
structure on the rw media.

Write refers to the generic process of putting data onto a media whether or
not it is burnt there. In the case of Nand flash, burning does not take
place, and whilst the media has a finite lifespan usually 100,000 cycles, it
can be re-used.

Tylor is asking if you can write the iso to a USB key, not burn it.

Tylor allready has his answers, so let us all assume we know what each other
is talking about and let the thread die quietly.
Perhaps the original question should have been,
"Is it possible to install Linux from a bootable USB flashdrive andif so,
how do I go about doing this?"?"