Installing Windows was: speakup is nice

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Wed Jan 28 18:31:23 EST 2009

This is rubbish. Of course Windows has Sata drivers,
however not all are supported with the standard install disks. the same is
true of Linux if your kernels are too old.
If you have an sp2 xp disk, it supports some Sata chips, sp3 supports more.

It doesn't support every controller, and drivers can be added at install by
pressing f6 during text mode or added to the disk see below.

You can of course slipstream your own sata drivers in if they are not
supported using nlite, or do it manually.

If your machine is set to use ahci, you need ahci drivers in Windows which
they aren't by default. Ahci is good to have, it allows Sata hotswap on
chipsets that support it and allows native command queuing.

You can switch your drives back to legacy mode, which will allow the OS to
see them at install time without special drivers.
There are ways of getting drives back into ahci mode after install but they
involve registry hacking and risk.
The same is true for Linux if switching to ahci remaps the data, you won't
see your stuff. (this is rare but can happen)

Linux won't find the hard drive on my mininote if it is in legacy mode, but
it will find it if ahci is enabled.

Many people see their drives not showing up under an installer of either OS
and panick, rather than tracking down the cause (which I conceed is not
allways easy).

This situation still exists under Linux if your hardware is esoteric,
wireless hardware in the new netbooks and unsupported desktop chipsets will
do this to you also. I have also had esoteric network interfaces not come
up.