An RFE for the clipboard

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Jan 28 17:43:11 EST 2009

Now that Orca has become a common tool for many of us, at least for part
of our Linux computing activity,
 wanted to put in an enhancement request whereby Speakup might pump data
into the X clipboard, and retrieve X clipboard contents in the console
environment. I would note this is already possible. My request is that
we streamline the process.

Here's how it's possible today:

Make sure you have DISPLAY:0 exported and the xclip package installed.

Put some text into Speakup's clipboard.

Issue the command:

xclip -selection clip-board

Press enter and do Insert+/ to paste the contents of the Speakup
clipboard into xclip. Terminate by pressing Ctrl+d.

Change to your gui desktop and paste using Ctrl+v.

It's also possible to go the other direction with:
xclip -o -selection clip-board

But, what would really be nice is to get rid of the intermediate steps
with xclip. It would be so much cooler to simply have Speakup's
clipboard also populate the X clipboard when we do Mark and Cut in the
console. And, it would be ever so so cool to have the X clipboard
automatically populate Speakup's clipboard when a Ctrl+x or Ctrl+c is
actuated on some text in the gui environment.

Thoughts, anyone? Mr. Kirk, Sir, Most Esteemed Product Maintainer?

Janina