speakup and key echoe and key layout

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Jan 14 11:35:41 EST 2009

Hello,
Regarding the keyboard layout issue:
I have my computer set up for UK (I am using slackware). When I type a
pounds sign (shift 3) speakup does not say the character as pounds (it
reports u acute). When I write shift 3 in nano and then use brltty to
query the character it tells me char 163 (0xA3). If I then save this to
a text file and use orca to read the character in gedit orca does say
pounds. Having a look in /sys/modules/speakup/parameters/characters I
see that pounds seems to label character 156. So it seems that the
keyboard is working correct for me although speakup isn't reporting the
pounds sign correctly for me. Do you observe something like the above?

Michael Whapples