speakup and key echoe and key layout

Keith Barrett lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 09:57:07 EST 2009

Sorry for the basic questions but have been having problems finding the
information.

Firstly, I would like to change the keyboard speech option in speakup.
I would like to turn it off but if possible, still have the backspace
announced as to what is being deleted.

Also, I notice that I am not getting the pound sign on shift three.
When I installed debian, I chose united kingdom in the country
selection.  Is this something to do with the speakup keymap?  Is there
one for the uk?  Is there another way to select the pound sign?

Thanks for your help.

Keith