Installing Windows was: speakup is nice

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 13 12:53:25 EST 2009

To install Windows, I use an open source system which is documented here:
http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

Somewhere on that site are instructions for remastering the boot CD. All you
have to do is add speakup to the kernel on the boot CD.

The result can be very slick. You can configure it to ask you all the usual
Windows installation questions or to ask none of them. I just used this
system to install Windows on a virtual machine under vmware server2.0.  It
was very slick. I configured the virtual machine, popped the CD into the
physical drive on the PC, booted the vm and an hour later I came back to a
running Windows vm.

The main drawback is that you have to have a network for the thing to work
at all. What it does is boot linux, runs a dos emulator, and then does a
network install of Windows. So you must actually copy the Windows
installation CD to your hard disk on your server. I already had the network
infrastructure so I was able to set the whole thing up in 2 evenings.

Oh, one more major drawback... Be prepared for a lot of work if you
regularly install Windows on brand new hardware. If you have somewhat older
hardware, it will probably work out of the box. But ythe linux kernel on the
boot CD has to support whatever hardware you have so if you have hardware
that's too new for whatever kernerl is on your CD, you have to remaster it.

Oh, shoot! One more major drawback. It doesn't work with Vista. Only Windows
XP. I'd presume though that you could install XP, install speech, and then
upgrade to Vista. That used to work when upgrading from 95 or ME to XP.