Trouble Compiling modules/kernel

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Wed Jan 7 22:48:54 EST 2009

Sure this is possible; but I won't be the one providing you support on how
to do it <smile>
Note the following points:

Some of the documentation inside the speakup repository seems slightly out
of date, I need to look at this more closely before I make this acersion
with confidence.

If you are managing your kernels yourself and not building them with
kernel-package then you'll have to look after your boot loader, kernel
image, modules tree and initrd image if you use it.
If you use kernel-package and module-assistant then you can let the system
manage the boot loader configuration (easy with grub, doable to a point with
lilo it tracks vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old)
and it'll handle the initrd image.

If you are compiling a kernel that is not debian blessed, you'll have to
insure that the compiler is using the right set of headers, i.e. the ones
for your compiled kernel and speakup must link against these also.

This will happen automatically if you compile from source if you succeed in
patching speakup into the source tree, however after you reboot you need to
insure that
/lib/modules/kernelversion/build points to the include path of your kernel
source tree. This usually involves keeping your kernel source around until
you have compiled any and all out of tree kernel module packages.
These would include a newer alsa if you want one, and other out of tree
modules.

I must say i'm mystified as to why most people seem to want to "get rid of"
the distribution kernel; fearing that it is bloated and overloaded.
Usually the initrd takes care of only loading modules you need for your
hardware.
Of course if you are compiling your own and you know what you are doing;
then all this talk of include paths, configuration of boot loaders and
similar should all be known ground.
If it isn't; then perhaps a user should start by compiling out of tree
kernel modules and work up from there.

The following is directed at no particular person:

If everyone documented what they did as they did it and submitted it to the
site then we wouldn't have these problems to anywhere this degree.
That said, often people are alergic to documentation, i've noticed this from
my years of teaching.
We have what we call the silver service brigade that seem to want every step
and procedure handed to them on a silver platter.
I conceed however there has to be a happy medium between no documentation
and insert slot a into tab b documentation for every distribution of Linux.

Personally; i'm part of the problem; as I allready have my speakup working
the way I want, and with 15 years Linux experience this is not a problem for
me.

I've built my out of tree modules; and they work well enough for my
purposes.
If people want speakup included in distributions then they're going to have
to work on it themselves or find someone to do the work for them (possibly
greasing the wheels with financial contributions).
Samuel does Debian and so do other people, Bill and Janina do an excellent
job on Fedora,
and apologies to others who did not make it onto this list.

Bundling speakup in the default kernel is certainly potentially disruptive
and causes more maintainance for the distribution maintainers.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, Kerry.