making a backup of my linux filesystem with tar and bz2

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jan 2 06:21:24 EST 2009

Nick Gawronski wrote:
> Hi, so what command would I run from the mount point where my USB
> drive was mounted to only backup the local ext3 filesystem using tar
> so the contents of the USB drive would not be included in my backup
> and when I wanted to restore it I would be in the directory where the
> USB drive was mounted and would mount my system on another mount point
> what would I type to do the restoration?

Hi,

Try this:

man tar
tar --help

Seriously, that's why we have man pages. Even most rescue CDs include
them and they generally answer your questions. I'll give you a clue
though. You want to have it create a file and not write to tape. I know
of no easy way to generate the archive, split it, copy it, cat it and
extract unless you have an extra partition somewhere.

Instead, a better option might be mondo. I know nothing about it and
can't comment on accessibility, but it looks like exactly what you want.
I intend to look into it later. It's in Debian Etch but I don't know
about Gentoo or live CDs. There is also a boot disk called mindi but
again I don't know about accessibility. http://www.mondorescue.org/ If
you try it, let me know how it works.