charset question

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sat Feb 28 13:01:01 EST 2009

Hi all.

I have a Victor Reader Stream and transfer books via linux to sd cards,
usually using a card reader. When I put the sd card in the reader and plug
it in, if I am also logged in to Gnome the card will mount automatically;
I discovered that if I am not logged in to gnome I have to mount manually.
At any rate, when the card mounts I get this message:

FAT:  Utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, file
system will be case sensitive!

I've even re-run dpkg-reconfigure locales and eliminated Utf8 but I still
get this message when I mount an sd card. I haven't noticed it as a
problem with sd card I've done for myself but am concerned because I'm
about to do somebody else's card; I could do it in Macosx or Windows to be
safe but I find the linux commandline to be the easiest way to do it. Is
there something i should do to get rid of this problem? Is it a setting
involved with gnome independent of the localles package? Or is this a
message I can safely ignore? The person using this card will eventually be
using it to load from a Windows system so I want to make sure I
don't do anything to cause a problem with her card.

Tia.

--
Cheryl