Debian Lenny with speakup_dectlk module

Erik Heil eheil at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Feb 17 10:45:33 EST 2009

Hi their. Since version 2.6.26 is now considered the new kernel within
Lenny/Sid, I decided to install the kernel from the package reposorities.
All went well, except the dectlk module seems to be broken. i.e. it does
not initialize the Dectalk Express. To confirm this as being a specific
2.6.26 issue, I performed some testing here. When I load the module as
root, the Dectalk Express doesn't talk. However, when I look at the various
module states of /sys/module/speakup, it indeed reports the module status
as being alive. Next, in order to test whether the issue could potentially
be related to serial port assignmented, I echoed some basic text to
/dev/ttyS1, which is where I have the Dectalk Express connected to.Well,
it turns out that the Dectalk Express did indeed echo back the text I sent
to it. So, is this a Debian-related bug? Or has this been fixed upstream?
Note that I con confirm this working as expected under a custom 2.6.20
compiled kernel, so somewheres between 2.6.20 and 2.6.26, the breakage
occurred. Thanks for all the support guys.

--Erik

eheil at sdf.lonestar.org