espeakup problems in Ubuntu 9.10

Georgina Joyce r2gl at o2.co.uk
Sun Dec 20 09:50:19 EST 2009

Hi

It sounds like a perms issue.

Is user garry added to audio group?  Edit /etc/group.  Only guessing.

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 14:20 +0000, Garry Turkington wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just tried a native install of Ubuntu desktop 9.10 to set up Speakup
> and am having espeakup throw the following errors:
>
> garry at fool:~$ espeak
> bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
> bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
> bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
> bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
>
> Anyone seen its like or know any likely causes?  Not getting anything
> on the Google.
>
> Thanks,
> Garry
Gena

four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this.

Richard Matthew Stallman