Fwd: Daniel Baumann: EXTLINUX as Alternative Bootloader

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Dec 11 20:01:18 EST 2009

Chris Brannon  <speakup at braille.uwo.ca> wrote:

>Sadly, the phrase "accessible bootloader" is an oxymoron,
>much like "rap music" or "jumbo shrimp".
>Thus, no bootloader is accessible.

Coreboot is the one I would like to try: it places a Linux kernel in the BIOS
of the machine, then boots from that into the (probably more recent and fully
featured) kernel on your disk.

The point is that it might be possible to get Speakup or BRLTTY working in the
Coreboot environment, though as far as I know, nobody has worked on it.

This should all become much more interesting when machines and system boards
become available with Coreboot pre-installed.