Talking Arch instalation: alsa-utils doesn't install

Nick G nick at HKCRadio.com
Tue Dec 1 20:15:16 EST 2009

Greetings.
    On an old machine in school, I decided to install Arch Linux while the rest of my Unix class was installing FreeBSD on a virtual PC.  I was almost finished, trying to make sure it would come up talking, but doing this threw an error, which I can't remember, but something about a non-existing alsa-utils package.
pacman --root=/mnt --cachedir=/mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg -Sy alsa-utils speakup espeakup
This followed the guide to the letter, though I had no need to edit the pacman.conf file, or at least that's how I saw it, as I was still working from the CD.  What did I do wrong?
Thanks,
Nick

Long Island, New York

cofounder, HKC Radio, www.HKCRadio.com

Email and Windows Live Messenger/Jabber: Nick at HKCRadio.com

AIM: NickG6489

Skype: Nick6489

Telephone: +1-360-215-5362