speakup.s and slackpkg

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Mon Aug 31 19:06:45 EDT 2009

Earlier this weekend I used slackpkg to do a system upgrade of
slackware-12.2 and ended up having to reinstall the system.  The kernel
got upgraded and as near as I can tell, what was used to do that upgrade
wasn't speakup equipped.  This is probably a broader problem with slackpkg
since if speakup.s got wiped out logically anyone else who installed a
kernel other than bear.i is going to be upgraded with bear.i even if
bear.i will not provide useable performance for their needs and system.
Unfortunately, slackpkg was written by the slackware team so it's
officially recommended.  Looks like some exclude code in the configuration
file would have helped here but doing that would prevent an upgrade of
speakup.s if one were actually available too.