vim and speakup and utf-8

David Csercsics aarg at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 27 16:00:35 EDT 2009

Ok, so this is just a quick message to people who were having issues
with vim reading weirdly in utf-8 mode with speakup. You can change the
encoding vim uses internally to latin1 which will turn off utf-8 and
then if you need the file in utf-8 you can change it back right before
you save. So what I've done is put this in my .vimrc
set encoding=latin1
and then if I for some reason need to save in unicode I can set the
encoding to utf-8 before I save the file. This way you can keep your
default locale at utf-8 for things that need it and because pretty much
all distros are expecting unicode these days. A bit clunky but it works.