debian testing no speakup at start

Keith Barrett lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 14:57:12 EDT 2009

I have just downloaded debian testing following some issues which
happened when upgrading lenny.

The install using speakup seemed to go without problem.

However, when prompted to boot in to the new system, no sign of speakup.

The system is booting and seems to be working.  If I log in as root, I can
close it down with halt.

Not got any eyes with me at present so not sure if there are boot messages.

So, any known issues?  Anything I can enter in to the console to start
speakup?

Not wanting to do the install again if I can help it.

Thanks.

Keith Barrett