[Fwd: [VINUX] Vinux 2.0 Beta 1 Release Announcement!]

Georgina Joyce ready2golinux at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:55:47 EDT 2009

-------- Forwarded Message --------
> From: drbongo <vinux.development at googlemail.com>
> To: The Vinux Development Forum <vinux-development at googlegroups.com>
> Subject: [VINUX] Vinux 2.0 Beta 1 Release Announcement!
> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:01:30 -0700 (PDT)
>
> I am happy to announce the release of the 1st Beta version of Vinux
> 2.0!
> There are a great many differences between this release and the
> earlier
> versions based on Ubuntu, and there are significant differences
> between this release and the existing alpha versions so if you are
> planning to try it out then please read the following information
> very carefully to avoid unnecessary frustration and/or confusion.
>
> 1. This version is based on Debian Lenny 5.02 and although there are
> many differences between Debian and Ubuntu the most significant one
> is that although you can use 'sudo' on the live CD, once installed
> you must use 'su' and then enter your administrator password to run
> commands with root priveleges from the terminal. This provides an
> extra layer of security over that offered by Ubuntu. An unusual
> consequence of this is that I have had to decide which admin
> applications
> you are likely to use on the Live CD and which ones you are more
> likely
> to use once installed. Thus on the Live CD the only admin apps that
> you
> can launch from the menus are the installer, the partition editor and
> the restore bootloader application. Once installed you will be able
> launch all of the other admins apps apart from these three. Of course
> you can launch any admin application at any time from the terminal
> using
> 'sudo' on the Live CD and 'su' on an installed system. I hope to fix
> this by the final release.
>
> 2. For those of you who are partially sighted you will notice that
> the
> desktop layout has changed considerably since the last version. This
> layout is designed to be friendly to partially sighted users by
> offering them one click access to all of the most commonly used
> applications at any time. It also maximises the available space on
> widescreen displays by placing the three panels on the left hand side,
> thus allowing you to use the full depth of the screen at all times.
> The only difference that this will make to Orca users will be that
> when you open the main menu you need to cursor down to find the
> places and system menus rather than cursoring right. Orca users can
> navigate to the panels in the usual way by pressing ctrl+alt+tab.
>
> 3. In order to fit everything onto the CD I have had to remove many
> applications, including Open Office and Evolution, which can of
> course
> easily be reinstalled. In their place I have provided Icedove, Abiword
> and Gnumeric which are not accessible with Orca, but are accessible
> [...]
Gena

four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this.

Richard Matthew Stallman