Speakup compared to the other linux/unix screen readers

al Sten-Clanton Albert.E.Sten_Clanton at verizon.net
Thu Aug 6 19:34:29 EDT 2009

Hi, Michael.  I hope I'm writing to you off the list.

I still find that I can't use orca to do anything other than set it up.  I
just had somebody look at the screen I get when I log into gnome, and it's
very different from anything I had using Ubuntu or Fedora.  The alt-plus-f1
key combination did not give me a list of applications.  Alt-plus-f2 did not
give me the screen on which to type the name of a program to run.  I don't
even remember what my friend said was on the initial screen, but it sure was
a far cry from what we're supposed to get.  I think my repeated attempts to
install gnome and orca properly simply have failed.  Since you have
something working, is there anything you can suggest?  I understand if this
seems to you a troublesome and unsolvable mystery, but I thought it worth
asking.

Having used a machine with orca and ubuntu, I've found that I hate using
orca in a terminal.  (When I used Fedora, I at least had speakup.) Orca
tells me thinks I don't care about when the screen changes, and it can be
hard to find what I want to read.  I have to live with that in the systems
administration class I'm taking at the moment.  I sure don't want to live
without speakup, or something like it, on my own box.

Thanks for anything you can tell me.  I hope the rant wasn't too bothersome.

Al