Speakup compared to the other linux/unix screen readers

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Thu Aug 6 03:51:45 EDT 2009

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Michael Whapples wrote:

> Hello,
> With all the other unix systems available, I am wondering whether it is worth
> learning about another text console screen reader so I could use non-linux
> unix systems.
You can use other Unix systems through ssh from a linux machine running
speakup.
IMHO Speakup is by far the most advanced and stable console screen reader.
It would also depend on which unix system you want to use, as many of them
runs on servers, not having sound cards.  If you want to run another
pc-based unix, first see if emacspeak runs there and learn that.  Yasr
might work and can be very handy to quickly get started, but if you are
not going to be able to ssh into the machine, emacspeak will give higher
productivity on the long term.
Ironicly, you might find that Orca will run under more unixes than yasr or
even emacspeak as it is a graphical screen reader running under gnome.
Using gnome terminal, one can get a long way and I think if I had to work
on another unix box directly, I would first try gnome terminal through
orca before I would learn emacspeak.
Emacspeak is more than an editor though. I would not go as far as its
author to say that it is an auditive desktop, but it is quite powerful and
if you take the time to learn all its functions, it can be a good or even
the best tool for some tasks.
Regards, Willem

 My question is though, how do the alternatives compare to