Speakup compared to the other linux/unix screen readers

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Wed Aug 5 12:18:48 EDT 2009

Hello,
With all the other unix systems available, I am wondering whether it is
worth learning about another text console screen reader so I could use
non-linux unix systems. My question is though, how do the alternatives
compare to speakup? Things I am considering in how they compare are:
* How good are they to use
* How advanced are they (speakup has a variety of tracking modes, window
to read from, etc)
* How frequently updated are they (looking at the yasr website the last
release was over a year ago)

So in comparing them is it worth looking at them or is speakup much
better and the lack of it would make working on the other unix systems a
pain?

I know about emacspeak, and its probably worth learning it for an
advanced editor, but I was more thinking about general screen readers
like yasr.

Michael Whapples