SpeakUP and IRC...

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Thu Apr 30 15:27:05 EDT 2009

	Hello all,

	Was just wondering if there are any plans to modify SpeakUP in
the future for IRC use.  Problem is when you're typing, it silences the
scrolling text, and you have to replay the screen to keep up.  I was
thinking of a special setup where there would be a dedicated "shut the
hell up" key you could use.  Otherwise, the system would keep talking as
you typed your replies.  I'm sure the capslock and keypad insert keys
would fit the bill in such a case.  Most screen readers can't handle IRC
without some kind of work-around.  Anyway, I think the "any key" method
of silencing the display hinders productivity in some cases, and could
be handled better with a dedicated silence key or mode.  I'd love having
such a mode when using the shell and IRC, so as to be able to do two
things at the same time, much like I could do when I was sighted.  If
this ability already exists in SpeakUP, so that the screen reader
responds only when specifically requested, please tell me how, because
most of the time I don't need to hear what I'm typing when other things
are happening in real-time.  Any opinions?

			Michael