Accessibility of netbooks

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Mon Apr 20 09:25:56 EDT 2009

Hi Terry.  Well, this laptop has no fan, so it can't be loud.  The two
things I'm not happy with are battery life, only about two hours, even
when both cpus are throttled back to 800 mhz, and the fact that you have
to completely disassemble the machine in order to expand the memory.
Other than those two minor inconveneiences, I love the machine.
Obviously I wish it had a serial port for a hardware synth, but then I
knew before I bought it that it didn't.  What turned me on to this
little box was that a friend of mine had one.  Of course he isn't
running linux, but I liked the look of it.  And when Staples had one on
for 300 bucks, I couldn't say no.

I'm thinking about disabling the touch pad by taking the driver out of
the kernel, because it works to well.  It's awfully easy to accidently
tap the touch pad with your thumb while you are typing, and have the
mouse move you to somewhare you didn't intend in gnome, but for the most
part, it just involves learning not to touch the touch pad.

The bottom line is as I said, that I have a dual boot laptop, running
both windows xp and linux, and both the text console and gnome
environments are working just fine.  I particularly like the fact that
my laptop hotkeys work under gnome, and the two built-in sd drives are
nice.  The keyboard is small, but useable.  I'd give the box 9 out of
10.  Hope this helps, have a good one.

Gene