Espeakup and other language than english

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Mon Apr 20 04:13:50 EDT 2009

There are ways to change the espeak default voice as well.
Some of these ways are plain ugly, but it works in some cases.
1.  copy the espeak voice file for your language to
/usr/share/espeak/voices/default.
This should work if the software calling espeak does not specify a voice.
2.  If the calling software specify let us say en as the default language,
and now it gets ugly,
  copy /usr/share/espeak-data/voices/en/en to
/usr/share/espeak-data/voices/en/english, then copy e.g.
/usr/share/espeak-data/voices/af /usr/share/espeak-data/voices/en/en.
in most cases, this would fool espeak into thinking it is speaking
English, but it would actually speak the language of the language file you
have copied over the en file.
This might blow up in one's face, but in the few cases where I were forced
to go with this approach, it did not blow up in mine.
When one then again really want English, one should copy the
/usr/share/espeak-data/voices/en/english file back to the en file.
HTH, Willem