Espeakup and other language than english

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 14:05:29 EDT 2009

Hello,

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:44:38PM +0200, Micha? Dziwisz wrote:
> I installed the GRML distribution with build in Espeak and Espeakup. All is
> ok, but how how can I switch Espeak to my native language whih is polish? I
> tried modify speechd.conf file by unhashing and seting the DefaultLanguage
> value to a "pl", without results.

Which version of espeakup does grml have installed?  If it is older than
0.60 there is no way to set the default voice.

If it is newer, you have to do two things:

First, as root, type this command:

echo 1 >/sys/module/speakup/parameters/direct

Then some how pass --default-voice=pl on the command line that starts
espeakup.

Let me know if you need any more assistance with this.

Thanks,

William