Which hardware synthesizer to buy?

Chris Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Wed Apr 15 20:26:04 EDT 2009

Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Virtualbox doesn't strictly require X, since it can be used using the
> vboxheadless interface.

True, but isn't the headless interface only useful for controlling
Virtual Box?  As far as I can tell, you need X if you want output from
the console of the emulated system.
A serial console is probably still an option.
Bochs can direct serial I/O to a pseudo-terminal, and I've used the socat
utility to service the host end of the emulated serial line.
In other words, I don't need serial hardware in order to use the serial
console of a virtual system.
I bet Virtual Box will allow something similar.

Regarding User-Mode Linux, there are definitely kernel projects for which it
isn't suitable.

-- Chris