Integrating Speakup/ESpeakup into Debian boot process

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 7 23:03:23 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 06:49:39PM -0700, Gaijin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:21:27AM +0000, Jason White wrote:
> > I've recently been experimenting with SpeakUp, motivated by the (temporary)
> > unavailability of both of my braille displays.
>
> 	Exactly.  As an ex-Debian fan, I can no longer recommend Debian
> for accessibility support.  It's been a constant headache from day one,
> being the last distro out there to add in accessibility support, and
> IMHO, will continue to be that way..  Personally, I'm moving on to

I couldn't agree with that. Debian provides brltty, orca and now speakup
modules, and just recently yasr. Emacspeak is also in the repo... So,
getting a braille system up and running is easy! A talking system isn't
that hard, now with the speakup modules in aptitude. With samuel's new
installer, which I am waiting to try, I think this would provide a very
easy way for someone to get a talking system!

Orca is easy to install as well, so many options... I would put debian
right up there for it's accessibility.

> GRML or Ubuntu as soon as I can manage it.  I've had enough of Debian, FWIW.

GRML, I can't comment on, but heard it has good accessibility. Ubuntu is
good as well, when I have used it, not as good as debian though as it's
more based on a gui, and the howtos are more based on the gui. I would
stick to debian, but a distrobution choice is a personal taste thing.

Daniel.