Integrating Speakup/ESpeakup into Debian boot process

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Apr 7 00:21:27 EDT 2009

I've recently been experimenting with SpeakUp, motivated by the (temporary)
unavailability of both of my braille displays.

On my laptop, I would like to try integrating Speakup (with ESpeak and
ESpeakup) into the Debian boot process. I've used module-assistant to build
the SpeakUp modules for the custom 2.6.27 kernel installed on the machine,
which in turn will be upgraded to 2.6.29 at some point. The ESpeakup package
is also installed, and I can easily enable it in the init scripts.

What's the best and safest way to load the Speakup modules in boot? Do I add
them to /etc/modprobe.d, or add them to initramfs, or is there another,
preferred method?