Speakupconf

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Apr 6 21:15:54 EDT 2009

Yes, I too am getting those errors and William and I talked about a
little while back and seemed to cut down the problem some but I think
you guys are right; speakupconf save seems to be corrupting some of
the saved variables and we end up with zeros in some of them.  In
fact, I just took a look at my full_time variable and it was zero! It
got saved as zero some time back when I did a speakupconf save I
guess.

Also Cheryl, I think you may be encountering a problem I have on my
system too.  You said you got errors about not finding a subdirectory?
The subshell run by speakupconf expects the UID environment variable
to show 0 in order to operate as root and update
/etc/speakup/<synth>.  If that step fails, you either get an error or
may get an attempt to create a local directory or reference one that
doesn't exist yet.  Does this make sense? speakupconf load expects to
find a .speakup directory in your user folder or if UID is 0 then it
should go out and use /etc/speakup.  Right now I have to "export UID"
at login to get speakupconf to work properly on my Debian box.  This
started happening recently with my Lenny setup before going to
Unstable.  But even under Unstable, this problem still persists for
me.