Doesn't Yasr run on Bsd?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Sep 22 06:22:31 EDT 2008

Cleverson wrote:
> As I know, the most recent Yasr version is able to communicate with
> speech-dispatcher, so that perhaps it would be possible to use it with
> ESpeak under a BSD or solaris system.
>
> Have someone tested it?

Hi,

All I can say is what I said before.  It didn't work for me with a DEC
Express.  It gave me some strange error but wouldn't actually run.  Even
if you could get it to work, you still have no way to install except
with a serial console.  I found ssh was by far the easiest thing to do
since it comes with an ssh server already.  What you would have to do is
first somehow get it installed, ssh to it from another machine, either
see if it is in the ports collection or compile it by hand, make sure a
synth is plugged in or set up software speech and finally see if it
runs.  If you actually get it to work, I would be very interested.  It
didn't work for me.  Again, even at that, you still won't hear boot
messages and the like so if the system crashes or doesn't boot, you
would never know.  Good luck though.  I don't see any way of avoiding
ssh to at least compile the source no matter what, but there are smarter
people than I who might have an answer.  My only other question is why
bother?  Unless your job requires use of BSD in which case you can use
ssh anyway, why not just stay with Linux which is already very accessible?