mini-beep.iso seems obsoleted already

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Sep 9 05:31:13 EDT 2008

Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> When I installed debian on my power pc, in order to do an install with
> brltty, I had to use a cd that had been specially created with the
> version of brltty that works correctly with power pc; this had not yet
> been implemeneted in the installers--in fact, I think it still might
> not be implemented. at any rate, with tht cd, I ran into the same
> problem of modules not being available. I ended up having to keep
> switching mirrors until I found one that had those modules; initially
> I kept changing when certain modules couldn't be found but eventually
> I found one mirror that had them all. You might be able to do the same
> thing with the mini-beep.iso; when it complains about missing modules,
> that has your modules. This would be a temporary fix until the iso is
> updated.

Hi,

I've never had this problem or anything similar, but perhaps it's the
mirror I use.  The two mirrors that I use and recommend always seem to
be current.  Generally when there is a major upgrade to stable, they
have everything within hours, at least by the time I do aptitude
update.  In order of preference, they are:

http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/

ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/

Note that http://mirrors.kernel.org/ is a lot slower for me and doesn't
always connect.  I sometimes have problems with linux.csua.berkeley.edu
but not often.  In the mini-beep install menu, I use option 20 from the
choose mirror menu.  Note that I am in California, US and those mirrors
might not be the fastest or closest for you, especially if you're in
another country.  If in doubt, you can use http.us.debian.org or similar
for your country code which is recommended.