First build

Rob kyrath at cox.net
Fri Oct 31 11:07:13 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I know several of you build your own systems.  I'm attempting to build my first system and have a couple of questions.

I'm working with an Intel DP35DPM board and a e8400 dual core processor.

I finally figured out that my heatsink/fan has a pre-applied thermal pad.  So I was attempting to install the processor last night.  The processor seems to seat properly, but the socket plate does not seat fully.  It appears that it would require excessive force to secure the socket lever.  I'm afraid of cracking or damaging the processor/socket.  Is it normal to require significant force to latch the socket closed?

I reexamined the socket plate without the processor in there and it does feel like the middle of the plate dips down a little, which would explain why the plate is sitting flush at the back end and raised at the front when the processor is in the socket.  Again, is it normal for the socket plate to have that slightly concave contour?

Thanks for any advice/guidance in advance.

-- Rob