Mutt and Gmail

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Oct 27 11:41:17 EDT 2008

I never got therror concerning a mak database for exim.  I looked in
the README files under the /usr/share/doc/exim4 for my instructions.
Sorry, but right now I forget what I used to configure it; I suppose
it was dpkg-reconfigure.  Sorry, I'm new to Debian so am still
bouncing off the walls a bit.  I was a slackware user for over ten
years so am more used to editing strait files.  I didn't find the docs
to be all that confusing though.  In fact, one of the options in the
config script enables me to hide the local machine name from my
outgoing addresses and smart host over to my main mail server for non
gmail activities.

As for configuring exim to have two different smart hosts depending on
what from address was used, that goes way over my head and I doubt any
debconf scripts cover that.  Plus AFAIK, exim doesn't handle ssl/tls
encryption so that's why the need for either msmtp or mutt's internal
smtp support.  Both of these latter items support gmail.  In fact, it
is just recent that I ran into the situation that started this thread
and that is mutt can't find any authenticators now when I use the
internal smtp support but I can get them through msmtp OK.  Mutt's
smtp support works great on my laptop which is still running under
slackware 12.0.

Chuck, I don't use fetchmail or getmail on this box.  I use Gmail's
IMAP support directly in Mutt.  It works pretty good too.