connecting via ssh

Bruce Noblick brunobrook at columbus.rr.com
Sun Oct 26 07:44:43 EDT 2008

Thanks, Tony,

I was able to get the static IP address working.  Thankfully my years of
experience on mainframes with front end processors controlling their network
came in handy for something, grin, even though it has no other current
relevance.

I am using ubuntu which says that it is "debian-derived" or something like
that so I thought I would try the aptitude -q command you suggested and it
did run and it appeared to be functional.  I got lost in the maze of
categories of packages and names of packages and haven't yet found the
openssh-server package.  I wasn't sure if that was the best approach with
ubuntu either so I wanted to confirm that here before I allowed it to do any
updates or downloads.  I didn't have a good recovery plan if things went
weird since I don't know linux very well yet.

Thanks for your patience.

Enjoy the day!
Bruce

.