Framebuffer Support Missing

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Fri Oct 24 04:48:56 EDT 2008

Hi Steve,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:18:57PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:

> Well, I need to update my post some.  I looked at the linux-image
> package and further at /lib/modules/2.6.26.... directory and I do
> actually find a couple modules who start with 'fb' in the video
> subdirectory.  But still no /dev/fb device.  If this kernel was
> prebuilt with the options as shown in the related config file in
> /boot, then I would expect the kernel to include framebuffer support.
> If that is the case, then how does one get the framebuffer support to
> be active so the device exists.  Do I have to mess around with udev
> some how?

No, you don't have to mess with the udev configuration. Frame buffers
are activated in your initramfs by default. Are you certain you are
using an initrd? It is at that point that your devices are detected,
acpi is begun, modules for ide, sata, and usb are begun, along with
frame buffers by default. It looks to me like you are not actually
executing an initial ram FS.

Chuck

My web site: http://hallenbeck.ftml.net -- my telephone: 1-518-334-9022.
                                --------
It is wise to keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final.