Kernels in Debian

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Oct 21 06:02:10 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm sure you got many good responses on this, but this is what I do
because it's far quicker and easier for me. I run the following commands:

aptitude -q install module-assistant
m-a prepare

Then, cd to the Speakup git pull and the src directory. For me, this is
usually /usr/local/src/speakup/src or /home/tony/speakup/src. Then run:

make modules_install

The m-a prepare command will download and set up the necessary kernel
tree structure. This will be a fairly big download, but will include all
the Debian security patches that you won't necessarily get in the
vanilla kernel.org source tree. That builds as modules. If you don't
want modules, see below. After the modules are built, do:

cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`
I think cd extra, but it could be kernel/extra

You'll have a speakup directory and the speakup modules in the current
dir. Just mv *.ko speakup to fix this:

mv speakup* speakup

This is important! Run this to make sure your system boots with speech:

depmod

As I said, that's if you want modules. If you want it built into your
kernel, do this:

aptitude -q install kernel-package

You'll also need to install a Debian kernel source package, such as
linux-source-2.6.26 or similar. Again, m-a prepare from the above
commands should do this for you.

Change to the kernel source tree, usually /usr/src
tar -jxf *.bz2

Change to the Speakup git pull, such as ~/speakup
Run the patch script, telling it the source is in /usr/src/linux. You'll
probably need to make a symlink from /usr/src/linux to
/usr/src/linux-2.6.26. It should patch without errors. If you get
errors, post a log on this list. After it patches, read the man page and
help for the "make-kpkg" command. Run make-kpkg with the parameters and
build options you want, such as if you want a custom version number. It
should do all the build and compile steps for you, including "make
config." You probably want to copy /boot/*config* to /usr/src/linux so
you don't have to answer hundreds of config questions while still
getting the Debian default options. Eventually, it will ask the Speakup
questions. I build the dectlk driver into the kernel, the rest as
modules. After that, come back in a couple hours and you'll have a bunch
of .deb packages in /usr/src/linux. From there, just do:

dpkg -i /usr/src/linux/*speakup*.deb

or whatever you choose to call your kernel version. You could also just do:

dpkg -i /usr/src/linux/linux-image*deb

Then, run lilo as always and reboot. It will run update-initramfs and
lilo for you, but I always run lilo again by hand just to make sure it
works. Speakup should come up talking on the next reboot. If not, go
back to the old kernel and try again or ssh in and look at dmesg.